Last winter, I posted a series of low-calorie banana bread recipes on my blog. And now that the holiday season is fast approaching, I wanted to put one of those recipes back in the spotlight. You see, this easy chocolate banana bread isn’t just any low-calorie snack. it instantly gets us in the Christmas spirit with its chocolaty gingerbread flavor. This makes it a skinny alternative to Christmas cookies and the good old chocolate gingerbread cookies. So, without further ado, let me show you how to make this recipe for chocolate banana bread with gingerbread spices.jump to recipe
My Basic, Low-Calorie Recipe For Chocolate Banana Bread
You can bake and enjoy this chocolate banana bread all year round. Because only the spices make it a Christmassy snack. For this reason, I would like to first show you my basic recipe for chocolate banana bread.
For this calorie-friendly chocolate banana bread you will need …
- four small or three medium sized, very ripe bananas
- 50 grams, 1.8 oz or ¼ cup each of soy yogurt and unsweetened applesauce
- Three medium eggs
- 130 grams, 4.6 oz or 1 ¼ cups of whole wheat flour
- 3 teaspoons of baking cocoa
- 1,5 teaspoons of baking powder
- 70 grams, 2.5 oz or 1/3 cup of erythritol
- a pinch of salt
And here’s how it’s done …
First, peel your bananas, put them in a large mixing bowl and mash them thoroughly with a fork. Then add the yogurt and applesauce. Next, grab the eggs and separate the yolks from the whites. You can add the yolks directly to the dough for your chocolate banana bread and the egg whites into a separate bowl. Beat the egg whites until stiff and set aside. Mix the ingredients in the other bowl briefly before you add the rest of the ingredients for the chocolate banana bread and give it a good mix.
Now you can carefully fold the beaten egg whites into the batter and then pour it into a silicone loaf pan. If you use a classic loaf pan, you should grease it with some butter or coconut oil or line it with baking paper beforehand. Put the chocolate banana bread dough in the oven for 35 to 40 minutes at 350°F/ 180°C convection oven (400°F/ 200°C bottom/upper heat).
Gingerbread Banana Bread – A Low-Calorie Snack For The Holiday Season
While you can bake this recipe for chocolate banana bread all year round, I would like to show you a little twist on it which is perfect for the upcoming holiday season. Using just two spices, you can turn this basic recipe for chocolate banana bread into a chocolaty gingerbread version. All you need is half a teaspoon of cinnamon and a teaspoon of gingerbread spice. For this you can simply buy a ready-made mixture for this.
To make your gingerbread version of this recipe, just add the spices to your dough along with the dry ingredients. And that’s it. I think it couldn’t be easier to bake yourself a healthy Christmas snack. And since it’s so low in calories, you can also top your slice with some nut butter or ricotta cheese. Especially hazelnut or cashew butter goes perfectly with this gingerbread banana bread.
Any further questions about this recipe?
By separating the eggs and beating the egg whites into stiff egg whites, you give the banana bread more volume and airiness. Thus, you need less flour and save a lot of calories.
For me, one loaf of banana bread makes about 10 servings. Thus, one slice of chocolate or gingerbread banana bread has about 98 calories. These include 2.1 g fat, 14.3 carbohydrates and 4.1 g protein.
Stored in the refrigerator, the bread will keep for up to one week.
Banana bread freezes very well, whether sliced or in one piece. To thaw frozen banana bread you can either put it in the refrigerator overnight, let it sit at room temperature for a few hours, or microwave the individually frozen slices briefly.
I hope I was able to give you some inspiration for a delicious and healthy snack with this super simple recipe for chocolate banana bread.
If you have any questions or suggestions about the basic recipe for chocolate banana bread or the gingerbread version, just drop them in the comments or write me a massage via email or Instagram (@julesbalancedrecipes). And if you like this recipe, I would appreciate you to leave a comment and a rating on this recipe. It’s easy to do via the comments section below this post.
Have fun trying it out and bon appétit,
Save For Later
Click the pin button and add the recipe to one of your Pinterest boards. This way you can also easily bookmark the recipe for later. The pin button will appear as soon as you hover over the picture.
You might also like…
- Healthy Pumpkin Bread Recipe With Banana And Biscoff Biscuits
- Esay German Gingerbread Cookies Recipe
- Vegan High Protein Reeses Pudding
Healthy Recipe For Chocolate Banana Bread
- 2 mixing bowls
- handmixer (or kitchen machine)
- (silcon) loaf pan
Basic Chocolate Banana Bread Recipe
- 4 small very ripe bananas or three medium sized bananas
- 50 g unsweetened soy yoghurt 1.8 oz or ¼ cup
- 50 g unsweetened apple sauce 1.8 oz or ¼ cup
- 3 medium sized eggs
- 130 g whole wheat flour 4.6oz or 1 ¼ cups
- 3 tsp cocoa
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 70 g erythritol 2.5oz or 1/3 cup
- 1 pinch of salt
- 2 tsp gingerbread spice
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350°F/ 180°C convection or 400°F/ 200°C bottom/upper heat.
- Peel bananas, put them in a mixing bowl and mash with a fork. Add yogurt and applesauce, mix briefly. Separate eggs, add yolks to batter and beat egg whites in separate bowl until stiff, set aside.
- Add remaining ingredients to the dough and mix with the hand mixer. Gently fold the egg whites into the batterand pour into a silicone loaf pan. If not using a silicone dish, grease baking dish first with a little butter or coconut oil or line with parchment paper.
- Bake banana bread for 35 to 40minutes or until no batter sticks to toothpick when making the toothpick test. Remove cake from oven, let cool briefly, turn out of pan and then cool completely on cooling rack.
- calories: 96 kcal
- fat: 2.1 g
- carbohydrates: 14.3 g
- protein: 4.1 g