Are you ready for the probably most healthy recipe with store-brought tortellini? If so, this healthy pasta salad recipe with tortellini is just made for you! It combines our favorite tortellini with a healthy caesar salad dressing and some homemade shredded chicken. So, without any further ado, let’s get started and I’ll show you how to make they quick and easy pasta salad recipe with tortellini.jump to recipe
Do you also have those few certain foods or dishes that aren’t particularly healthy, but you just can’t live without them? I have a lot of things on that list, but one of those things are store-brought tortellini and ravioli. I know that these are highly processed foods, but still these cravings overtake me every now and then. But instead of eating them with butter and parmesan cheese like I used to years ago, I now prefer to incorporate them into healthy dishes. Just like this quick and easy pasta salad recipe with tortellini. I know there are countless pasta salad recipe with tortellini out there. But this one, unlike all the other recipes I could find so far, is still very healthy and calorie-conscious even though we are using such a highly processed ingredient.
Ingredients for this Healthy Pasta Salad Recipe with Tortellini
The recipe is adapted to the amount of two large servings. You can also halve, double, or triple the amount of ingredients, depending on how many people you want to feed.
- 200 grams or 7 ounces of chicken breast fillet
- some salt and pepper
- 100 grams or ½ cup of natural yogurt with 3.8% fat
- 40 grams or a bit less than ¼ a cup low-fat Greek yogurt
- a teaspoon or five to seven grams of medium hot mustard
- one anchovy or half a teaspoon of anchovy paste
- one hard-boiled egg yolk (you can chop the whites and add them to the salad)
- 10 grams or 1/8 cup of freshly grated parmesan
- one teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce
- half a teaspoon of sugar
- 200 grams or 7 ounces of tortellini with spinach-ricotta or tomato-mozzarella filling
- 150 grams or 5 ounces cherry tomatoes
- 200 grams or 7 ounces of fresh dark leaf lettuce, e.g. spinach, chard, lamb’s lettuce, arugula, etc.
Alternatives and Variations
For a vegetarian version, you can also fry some tofu and serve it with the salad. Furthermore, you can use any other kind of tortellini. However, these two are usually the most calorie-friendly varieties and I personally am no fan of store-bought meat tortellini. And if you want to make this pasta salad recipe with tortellini even easier just buy some hard-boiled eggs. That way you save yourself the hassle of cooking the egg ahead of time.
Tortellini Salad with Shredded Chicken
If you own a crockpot, you should use it for this recipe. I love to prep a big serving of chicken breast in my slow cooker and use it for different recipe throughout the week, just like this pasta salad recipe with tortellini.
To prepare the chicken in the slow cooker, just put your fillets in the pot and pour some water or chicken broth over them until they are covered with liquid. Then turn on your crockpot and let it cook for six hours on low or four on high. After that, you can take the meat out and shred it with two forks into “shredded chicken”.
Instead, you can also fry your chicken in a pen and then cut it into strips to serve them on top of your tortellini salad.
Skinny Caesar Dressing
Once the chicken is prepared, whether in the crockpot or skillet, you can move on to the other two components: the dressing and the tortellini. In the case of the tortellini, all you have to do is cook the pasta according to the package instructions, drain it, and let it cool briefly.
Although this dressing is very low in calories, it reminds me of a delicious, creamy Caesar dressing in terms of taste and consistency. To make this skinny Caesar, peel the boiled egg, cut it in half lengthwise and put the yolk in a bowl. Now you can directly add the rest of the ingredients and mix everything into a smooth dressing. Simply mash the yolk with a fork or the back of your spoon so that it combines well with the other ingredients.
Finally, all you have to do is wash the lettuce and tomatoes thoroughly and drain it well. Halve the tomatoes and put both in a large bowl. Now you can add the cooked tortellini, the shredded chicken or chicken strips and mix them all with the skinny caesar dressing and you are ready to enjoy this pasta salad recipe with tortellini.
Healthy, Well-Balanced, and Simple Tortellini Recipe
I hope you like this very simple pasta salad recipe with tortellini and give it a try. Of course, the recipe itself takes a little longer if you cook the chicken in the slow cooker like I do. But during that time, you can do whatever you want and you don’t even have to be home, since there is nothing on the stove. Therefore, I still find this recipe to be very practical and time efficient. ????
If you have any questions or suggestions about this recipe, feel free to drop them in the comments, or send me a massage via email or Instagram (@julesbalancedrecipes). Also, I’d appreciate your comment and rating on this recipe if you’ve tried it. It’s easy to do via the comments section below this post and it would mean the world to me.
Have fun trying it out and bon appétit,
Save for later
Click the pin button and add the recipe to one of your Pinterest boards. This way you can also easily bookmark the recipe for later. The pin button will appear as soon as you hover over the picture.
You might also like:
- Pumpkin Soup With Potato And Meatballs – Here’s How To Make A Creamy Thick Pumpkin Soup
- The Simplest Recipe For Pho Soup – Here’s How To Make Pho Soup Quick & Easy
- The Easiest Steak Fajitas Marinade for Healthy and Delicious Steak Fajitas
Healthy Pasta Salad Recipe with Tortellini
- slow cooker (alternatively a coated pan)
- cheese grater
- 200 g chicken breast fillet (7 oz)
- 100 g plain yogurt (3.8% fat) (~ ½ cup)
- 40 g low-fat Greek yogurt (~ bit less than ¼ cup)
- 1 tsp medium hot mustard
- 1 anchovy ½ tsp anchovy paste
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 hard-boiled egg
- 10 g freshly grated parmesan (~ ⅛ cup)
- ½ tsp sugar
- 200 g tortellini (7 oz)
- 150 g cherry tomatoes (5 oz)
- 200 g dark leaf lettuce e.g. spinach, chard, lamb's lettuce, arugula, etc.
- Version 1: Remove tendons from the chicken breast, place it in the crockpot and cover it with water or chicken broth. Cook for 6 hours on low or 4 hours on high, then remove and "tear" it into small pieces by using two forks.
- Version 2: Remove the tendons from the fillet, season both sides with salt and pepper and fry it in a non-stick pan with a little olive oil (½ to 1 teaspoon). Then cut it into thin strips.
- Cook the tortellini according to the package instructions, let them cool briefly. Meanwhile, peel the egg, cut it in half, scoop out the yolk and put it in a bowl. Add the remaining ingredients and combine into a smooth dressing, mashing the yolk lightly with a fork or spoon.
- Wash the lettuce, thoroughly dry them or, if possible, spin them dry in a salad spinner. Wash the tomatoes and cut them in half. Place the lettuce, tomatoes, tortellini, and chicken in a bowl and mix everything with dressing.
- calories: 448 kcal
- fat: 10 g
- carbohydrates: 46 g
- protein: 43 g