This simple lentil salad with feta cheese fits in everyone’s life! It’s quick to prepare, budget and meal prep friendly. It’s also super balanced and full of minerals, vitamins, and phytochemicals. And by the way, it tastes just delicious. I mean, can you imagine a salad that comes with a creamy avocado dressing and tangy feta cheese that doesn’t taste delicious? So, let me show you how to make it!Jump to Recipe
Healthy and Well-Balanced
Easy, budget-friendly, perfect for meal prepping, and delicious. Those are actually enough reasons to love this lentil salad with feta, right?
But in fact, we can add a few more if we take a closer look at the superfood potential of this lentil salad.
First, we have the lentils. And even if we only use the pre-cooked canned lentils out of laziness and simplicity, they are still full of valuable ingredients.
On the one hand, lentils provide us with complex carbohydrates and plenty of plant-based proteins. On the other hand, they contain lots of phytochemicals. These in turn have amazing, preventive protective effects on our body. For example, they help protect us from cancer, strengthen the immune system and lower our cholesterol levels.
Enough reasons, then, to eat these tasty legumes more often. By the way, to avoid or at least minimize the bloating that often occurs when eating lentils, it helps to rinse the lentils thoroughly.
Often it is only the liquid in the can that causes the bloating. So put the lentils in a sieve, rinse them thoroughly and shake dry.
However, the lentils are not the only healthy ingredient in our salad. The broccoli and tomatoes provide lots of vitamins, minerals, and even more phytochemicals. And the feta brings extra protein to the mix, in addition to its delicious, salty flavor.
Oh, and then there’s the avocado. Everyone has probably heard by now that this fruit is full of healthy fats. But to reiterate, avocados contain valuable fatty acids and taste just super delicious.
The quantities given in this lentil salad with feta recipe refer to approximately two servings. However, feel free to double, triple, or halve them, depending on how many people you’re cooking for.
In addition, you can always make a little more of it at a time since the leftovers of this lentil salad will keep in the fridge for a few days.
If you like to have a larger portion or one with more or less calories, carbs, proteins, or fats, feel free to adjust the amounts to your individual needs.
I always base portion sizes on my personal dietary needs (presumably those of the average woman). However, you or perhaps one of your fellow eaters may need more or less than I do.
For This Delicious Lentil Salad with Feta You’ll Need:
- A can of brown lentils (260 grams or about 9 ounces drained weight)
- 200 grams or 7 ounces of broccolini
- 250 grams or 8 to 9 ounces of cherry tomatoes
- 100 grams or 3.5 ounces of feta cheese (fat reduced)
- 100 grams or 3.5 ounces of avocado
- some guacamole salt, a guacamole seasoning or just some salt and dried chili flakes
- one juicy big lime
- 40 grams of (plant-based) Greek yogurt or regular (plant-based) yogurt (about two tablespoons)
- half a bunch of fresh parsley
- salt, pepper and dried chili flakes
Substitutions and Variations
Instead of canned lentils, you can of course use dried lentils. However, you should soak them overnight and then cook them according to the package instructions.
You can also substitute the broccolini for regular broccoli. Just make sure to finely chop the florets so they can be prepared the same way as the broccolini in this recipe.
If there aren’t any good fresh cherry tomatoes available right now, you can also substitute the tomatoes for bell peppers or another vegetable of your choice.
Also, you can omit yogurt and just use a little more avocado, since we only use the yogurt to stretch the dressing a bit.
And finally, you could swap out the feta for mozzarella cheese. In that case, you might just need to salt the salad a tiny bit more.
Lentil Salad with Feta – Here’s How to Make It
As promised, this lentil salad with feta is foolproof to prepare. And since the only ingredient that needs to be prepared on the stove is the broccolini, we’ll start with it.
To do this, first wash the stalks thoroughly, remove the leaves and cut it into bite-sized pieces. Next, put the broccoli pieces in a hot pan, along with a quarter cup of water.
Place a lid on the pan and steam the broccoli for about four to five minutes over medium to medium-high heat. Check in between if there is still water in the pan or if something burns and add more water if necessary.
Meanwhile, you can already rinse the lentils thoroughly in a colander and shake them dry. You can also wash the tomatoes and parsley. Depending on the size, you can halve or quarter the tomatoes and roughly chop the parsley.
Avocado and Feta Cheese – a Dream Team
For the avocado cream, peel and pit the avocado and mash it with a fork in a shallow bowl or on a plate. Then season it with some guacamole salt and the juice of half a lime. Then mix in the yogurt.
Once the broccoli has a vibrant, beautiful green color and the perfect bite, we can start to assemble our feta salad. Therefore, just add the lentils, tomatoes, broccoli, and parsley to a large bowl. Next crumble the feta over the salad, add the avocado cream and toss everything together.
Finally, we season our lentil salad with a little salt, pepper, chili flakes and the remaining lime juice. And é voila, the lentil salad is ready to serve or can be stored in the fridge for the next few days.
I hope you like this simple and healthy lentil salad with feta and that you give it a try soon.
And in case, you’ve tried this lentil salad recipe, I’d appreciate your comment and rating on this recipe. It’s easy to do via the comments section below this post and it would mean the world to me.
Have fun trying it out and bon appétit,
Save for later
Click the pin button and add the recipe to one of your Pinterest boards. This way you can also easily bookmark the recipe for later. The pin button will appear as soon as you hover over the picture.
You might also like:
Lentil Salad with Feta
- 1 medium-sized pan (with lid)
- 1 colander
- 1 can brown lentils (260g or ~9 oz drained weight)
- 200 g broccolini * (~7 oz)
- 250 g cherry tomatoes (~8 to 9 oz)
- 100 g (fat-reduced) feta cheese (~3.5 oz)
- 100 g avocado (~3.5 oz)
- guacamole seasoning ** alternative some salt and dried chili flakes
- 1 big lime
- 40 g (plant-based) greek yogurt (~2 tbsp)
- ½ bunch of fresh parsley
- salt, pepper, dried chili flakes
- Wash the broccolini, pluck off the leaves and cut the sprouts into bite-sized pieces. Heat the pan on the stove, add the broccoli along with ¼ cup of water, place the lid on the pan and cook over medium to medium-high heat for 4 to 5 minutes until the broccoli has a nice, vibrant green color and is tender but still has a bite.
- Meanwhile, put the lentils in a colander, rinse thoroughly and shake dry. Wash the tomatoes and parsley, cut the tomatoes in half, and coarsely chop the parsley.
- Peel and pit the avocado. Mash the flesh with a fork in a shallow bowl or on a plate. Season with the juice of half a lime and the guacamole salt, then mix in the yogurt.
- Place the lentils, tomatoes, parsley and broccoli in a bowl. Crumble the feta on top of it with your hands, add the avocado cream and toss well. Season to taste with salt, pepper, chili and remaining lime juice.
- calories: 359 kcal
- fats: 12.7 g (4.5 g saturated fatty acids)
- carbohydrates: 24.5 g
- proteins: 25.9 g