Today I have a variation of an old german classic, the mashed potatoes, for you. But first I want to tell you a little fun fact. My sister and I hated mashed potatoes when we were kids. That’s why my mum always made a modified version of it. Celery was added to the potatoes and cream was used instead of milk. But probably the best part was the huge amount of cheese that was mixed in the mashed potatoes! This was probably the reason why my sister and I loved her kind of mashed potatoes so much. 🙂
healthy mashed potatoes
And also my version is not so different from the mashed potatoes my mum used to made. The basis are still potatoes and celeriac. But I replace the cream with some unsweetened almond milk. And when it comes to the cheese I personally like to use some Harzer cheese. But I know that many people don´t like this kind of cheese. In that case you can also use a fat reduced gratin cheese or Gouda.
And to make a complete meal out of this delicious side dish, I will recommed you a great topping to go with it. And this one is made out of sautéed mushrooms (any kind you like), leek and garlic. Seasoned with thyme and some sea salt, this combination tastes really divine. Then just serve it with a source of protein. In my opinion everthing from chicken to fish or tofu goes well with this.
I hope you like the recipe and try it out. If you’re still looking for more potato recipes or if you’re more of a potato salad fan, you should definitely check out my potato-salad recipe. Have a nice day. 🙂
Mashed Potatoes with Celeriac
- 500 g potatoes
- 150 g celeriac
- 100 g Harzer cheese alternatively 75 g light gratin or Gouda cheese
- 100 ml unsweetened almond milk
- nutmeg, salt, pepper
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 250 g mushrooms
- 1/2 leek
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- Wash or peel the potatoes, cut the skin off the celeriac and cut it into four or five pieces. Put both in a pot, cover with water, bring to the boil and then let it simmer for about 20-25 minutes until the both is cooked soft.
- Meanwhile, clean the mushrooms and cut them into fine slices. Wash the leeks, cut them in half lengthwise and then into fine rings. Peel and finely chop the garlic.
- Once the potatoes are ready, drain them. Mash them with a potato masher and in the meantime add a sip of milk every now and then. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg, dice the cheese and add it, as well as half the garlic. Once again mix everything well with the masher.
- Sauté the mushrooms in a non-stick pan. Add the leeks and garlic, season with thyme, salt and pepper and leave to fry for a few more minutes.
- Serve the mashed potatoes with the sautéed mushroom and a protein source of your choice (chicken filet, fish, steak, tofu, etc.).
- calories: 297 kcal
- fat: 2 g
- carbohydrates: 40 g
- protein: 26 g