I love the Mexican cuisine! And since I’m certainly not the only one, I thought it was about time for a new Mexican recipe. You can already find a recipe for enchiladas here on my blog. Basically, they are burritos which are baked in a tomato sauce and topped with cheese. But I think it is time for another favorite Mexican recipe of mine – the Quesadilla!
Quesadilla, like burritos or enchiladas, are actually some kind of filled wheat tortilla. But unlike the other two, the quesadilla is not rolled up. Here, in the classic way, you spread the filling all over the tortilla. Then you sprinkle it generously with cheese and place a second tortilla on top. This kind of sandwich is then fried in the pan from both sides. Needless to say, that this tastes fantastic! After all, two tortillas with a delicious filling and lots of cheese, just has to be delicious. Am I right?
The TikTok Quesadilla Trend
I’m sure some of you have already seen this new TikTok Quesadilla trick. Even if you are like me, not a TikTok user, this new trend could hardly pass you by. And if you haven’t seen it before, you’ll surely get excited right away. Because even though quesadillas are a rather simple dish in themselves, they are by no means easy to prepare. After all, we have to flip the “tortilla sandwich” at least once in the pan. And anyone who has ever made quesadillas themselves knows that this task is anything but easy. So, in order that the flipping does not end up in a total mess, it is important that the quesadilla is not too thickly filled and that there is a lot of cheese on it.
How to make Quesadilla without a mess!
But with this little trick, the flipping problem is solved! Because instead of two tortillas, we just use one. And to make it as clear as possible what I mean, just imagine that the tortilla is a clock. Because then you just cut it at 6 o’clock all the way to the middle. And then you can mentally imagine four quarters on your tortilla. The first one, to the left side of the cut, could be spread with some cream cheese. On the second and third quarter you put the ground beef filling and on the last one the spinach. You can then sprinkle the cheese either on one of the quarters or all over the entire tortilla.
And now you just have to fold the quesadilla. To do this, take the quarter on the bottom left and fold it up once. Then fold the two of them on the third quarter and then flip them down onto the last one. Now you just have to fry this package from both sides in a pan over medium heat. And so you have a delicious quesadilla that can not only be prepared without mess but could also be eaten easily.
One dish & thousands of variants
The nice thing about quesadillas is that you can fill them however you like. You can make them vegan, vegetarian or with meat. And of course, you can fill them with ingredients that may not be classic Mexican. For example, you can fill them like a pizza. Nevertheless, I have decided here for a very classic combination. For this I have made a delicious ground beef skillet with beans. To bring in a few vitamins, I also added a bit of spinach. And since I always liked to eat burritos with sour cream and cheese, I added some cheddar and low-fat cream cheese. However, if you don’t like any of these components, you can always omit them or swap them out.
By the way, this recipe also comes out with quite a large amount. So it’s perfect for feeding the whole family. My favorite thing to do is to serve them with a big salad, so that the vitamins don’t come up too short with this dish either. And if you like to serve your quesadilla with a dip, you should definitely try my chipotle ketchup. You can already find the recipe in the post for my delicious and healthy cheese fries.
I hope you like this simple and delicious recipe. Let me know if you want to see more such simple recipes or even more Mexican dishes from me. And for now, I hope you have fun trying out these Quesadilla! See you for the next recipe,
- 14 oz 95% lean ground beef
- 1/2 can strained tomatoes
- 1/3 can kidney beans
- 1 onion
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup fat reduced cream cheese
- 1/3 cup shredded cheddar (1,5 oz not shredded cheddar)
- fresh spinach leaves
- cumin, coriander, paprika, salt, chipotle chili flakes
- 8 corn torilla wraps alternatively protein or whole wheat tortilla
- Peel and finely chop the onions and garlic. Heat the olive oil in a large, non-stick skillet and sauté the onion until translucent. Then season generously with cumin, coriander, paprika and salt, add the garlic and sauté for about a minute. Then add the ground beef. Once the ground beef is nice and crumbly, reduce the heat and add the kidney beans, mashing them lightly with a wooden spoon. Deglaze with the tomatoes, simmer for about two minutes and finally season with chili and pepper, adding a little salt if necessary.
- Take a tortilla wrap and cut from one side to the middle of the tortilla wrap. Spread some cream cheese on the first "quarter" of the flatbread. Spread 1/8 of the ground beef mixture on the next two "quarters" and top the last "quarter" with a few fresh spinach leaves. Now sprinkle with some cheddar and then fold according to the instructions mentioned before. (Reminder: Simply fold the quarter on the left side of the cut on top of the second on. Lay the two of them on the third quarter and then down to the 4th.)
- Place the quesadilla in a skillet ( without any oil) and brown it on both sides over medium-high heat for about 3 minutes each. Then repeat the process for all the tortillas.
- calories: 247 kcal
- fat: 8 g
- carbohydrates: 26 g
- protein: 17 g